William Allen  
Quaker Friend of Lindfield  1770-1843
   
Publication by: MARGARET NICOLLE  
  Why write about William Allen ? William Allen - The Man Useful Links
The Lindfield Connection How to Order Photo Gallery
   
   
The Lindfield Connection
 

In 1825 William Allen opened his Schools of Industry in the village. He received the backing of the Earl of Chichester, the M.P. John Smith and a number of subscribers.  In addition to the 3Rs (Reading, Writing and Arithmetic)  girls were instructed in spinning, weaving, knitting and domestic work  whilst the boys learnt a variety of trades such as printing.  The boys could also do agricultural work.

   

In 1827 Allen published a pamphlet entitled ‘Colonies at Home or the Means of Rendering the Industrious Labourer Independent of Parish Relief.’  Allotments were provided in Lindfield for poor rural labourers.  Each allotment had a cottage provided.  The last of the allotment cottages was not demolished until the 1950s

   
Local place names, bear witness to the esteem in which Allen was held such as William Allen Lane and Allen Road.
   

 
   

GRAVELYE LANE COTTAGE 1061

GRAVELYE LANE

 
   

 
   

LITTLE PELHAM

WILLIAM ALLEN COTTAGE

 
   
   
William Allen - Quaker Friend of Lindfield